Friday 2 August 2013

Layered Rainbow Cake

This pretty creation was my daughter's birthday party cake from this year. Isn't it so beautiful!

She saw this cake on the front of the April edition of BBC Good Food Magazine and wanted me to make it for our Easter celebration cake, but I wimped out and make a chocolate cake instead. 
But I couldn't deny her request for this year's birthday.

Yes, it is a bit of a fiddle and yes, it took me a whole day to complete, but the gasps of delight of my daughter and her friends (and me) when we cut it open at the party made it well worth while.

I went with a pastel colour scheme for the cake. Some other examples of this type of cake I've seen are almost 'radioactive' looking the colours are so bright. I wanted something a bit more subtle, with less colouring and I think it turned out really well.

The mascarpone icing was wonderful. It was lovely, thick and sweet and complemented the squidgy cake wonderfully.

I followed the recipe from BBC Good Food to the letter. It was easy and the sponges were moist and springy. As this was not my original recipe, I will not reproduce it here. If you'd like to make this cake, click here for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment