Thursday 5 July 2012

Anything in the fridge salad

I could eat salad at every meal. It is so diverse and you can make so many different variations with so few ingredients. I love a mix of crunchy, soft, squishy, rough and slippery ingredients.

I really like the crunch of salad leaves. Any kind will do, I'm not fussy; it can be plain old iceberg, baby spinach, rocket, lamb's lettuce or raw cabbage. I like nuts and cheese in my salad when it is a stand-alone meal (not a side salad to something else). I like tomatoes, lots of different kinds, but I prefer them at room temperature; I feel they loose their flavour in the fridge.

My other favourite ingredients are cucumber (without skin please), grated carrots, sliced meats, tuna or smoked salmon and sometimes a bit of fruit. Grated apple is lovely, pieces of orange or seedless mandarin are so refreshing, and berries are super-yummy. And of course, there has to be a great tangy dressing and bread to mop it up at the end.

This is a 'anything in the fridge' salad, as I never make it the same twice. It is always made with whatever is in the fridge. I like the variety of this and it is a good way of using up whatever needs to be used.







What you'll need

Salad

1 cup loosely-packed salad leaves, whatever you prefer. I used lamb's lettuce
1/2 cup roughly-chopped tomatoes - I used cherry and grape tomatoes
50 - 100g sliced meat or fish - I used smoked white fish
30g cheese, cut or broken into chunks - I used goat's cheese
Handful of berries - I used rasberries
5cm piece of Lebanese cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced
Handful of nuts - I used cashew nuts

Bread

One of two pieces of whatever you like. I used 'Milchbrot'.

Dressing

2 tbl oilve oil
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper


* This salad is a serving for one person for lunch or a light dinner

What to do

Put all the ingredients on a plate or in a bowl. 

Pour dressing onto salad and mix carefully. 

Eat and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm all about texture too...yum! Your 'anything in the fridge' omelettes were always a winner too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks T. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete