Wednesday 15 August 2012

Rib eye steak with chimichurri sauce

I have wanted to make this chimichurri sauce for many years, since I saw a recipe and some yummy-looking photos in a cooking magazine years ago.

The origin of this sauce is Argentinean, and I really like the beautiful colours of the the herbs and chilli and also the way it glistens on top of the steak.

The red wine vinegar brings it all together into a beautiful tangy sauce that is great with a yummy, tender steak.

I don't usually like a lot of chilli in my cooking. But I now have a chilli plant and the chillis on it are just the perfect heat for me and the man of the house. So we have been using a little bit of fresh chilli in our meals lately.

I borrowed from a 'Delicious magazine' recipe, but have tweaked it a little bit to suit what I had.

I think this sauce would be best made fresh, but it would keep for a few days in the fridge in an air-tight container.

If you 'Google' chimichurri recipes, you will find many variations to the recipe. Many include coriander, which I have a strong dislike for, so no coriander in this recipe. But if you like coriander feel free to add it to your sauce.

I forgot to add that the oregano and bay leaves (along with other herbs I used in another recipe) were provided fresh from cousin Monica's garden. I am grateful that I have a lovely garden where I can pick fresh things; so much better than soggy herbs from the shops. Thanks Monica.


What you'll need

*This makes enough sauce for 4 - 6 steaks.

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Juice of one lemon
1 tightly-packed cup of fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup tightly-packed fresh oregano leaves
3 fresh red chillis, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 fresh bay leaves (or use dried if you don't have any fresh ones)
Salt and pepper

4 - 6 medium-sized rib-eye steaks

What to do

Blend all the ingredients (apart from the bay leaves) until well-mixed. Season with salt and pepper.

You can make this is a food processor, in a mortar and pestle or just finely chop the ingredients.

Place the blended ingredients into a bowl and add the bay leaves.

Mix the leaves into the sauce and set aside to 'marinate' for about half an hour. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

Spoon over freshly grilled rib-eye steaks, other grilled meats or vegetables. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment